DLF launches new advice and information guide to support Hollyoaks pregnancy storyline
22nd January 2010
Following the revelation that Hollyoaks character Hayley Ramsey, played by actress Kelly-Marie Stewart, is expecting a baby, national charity the Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) has created a special new information sheet aimed at disabled parents/pregnant mothers. The guide gives details of equipment that might help parents with disabilities such as special pushchairs, bathing supports and changing mats, along with a list of other organisations that offer support to parents with disabilities. It can be downloaded from DLF's website or obtained by calling DLF's Helpline on 0300 999 0004 (open Mon-Fri, 10 a.m-4 p.m.)
DLF's Chief Executive, Christine Shaw, comments: "Increasingly we are seeing disability issues covered in our nation's soap operas. I am delighted that Hollyoaks has decided to follow the storyline of a young wheelchair user who finds out that she is pregnant. Pregnancy and parenthood is a very personal experience but wheelchair users in particular may have additional concerns. We hope our new information sheet will help provide practical advice to anyone who is affected by the issues raised."
Notes to editors
- DLF is the UK’s leading source of impartial, expert information and advice on equipment to help older and disabled people continue to live full and independent lives and stay in their homes as long as possible
- DLF is a national charity and is celebrating its 40th anniversary.
- For help and information about equipment and gadgets to make daily life easier, visit DLF’s impartial advice website www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk or call the national helpline on 0300 999 0004 (Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm)
- DLF also runs AskSARA, its award-winning online advice tool that guides people to appropriate and personalised information on products that can help them live more independently. Visit www.asksara.org.uk
- If you would like to try out daily living equipment for yourself under the guidance of a qualified therapist, you can visit DLF's London Demonstration Centre with hundreds of items on display
Contact: Sharon Harbutt, Press Officer, DLF, Tel: 020 7432 8017, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org