Equipment Demonstration Centre
Welcome to Independent Living!
Have you heard about, seen or been recommended a piece of equipment that you would like to look at more closely?
Would you like a hands-on opportunity to see whether it meets your needs or those of people you know?
Would you like to try out the equipment for yourself at no charge?
DLF run one of the largest Independent Living Centres in the UK, with 400 square feet of space containing hundreds of items of equipment for all areas of daily living.
The EDC is open to visitors Monday to Friday between the hours of 10am - 4pm. To make an appointment please call: 020 7289 6111 ext 247/204 or make an appointment using the online form.
Our refurbished centre
The EDC first opened to the public in 1971 and over the last 40 years has had several refurbishments to ensure its appearance is fresh and appealing. The EDC has recently been refurbished with new carpets, lighting and brand new bathroom/shower and kitchen areas.
What you think...
I married my late husband, who was disabled with multiple sclerosis, when I was 60 years old. I had no experience of care for disabled people in a domestic environment. A few visits to your Demonstration Centre and advice from your staff gave me the 'crash course' in the information I needed to embark upon this late-in-life marital adventure.
Barbara Van Doren, West London
The newly refurbished EDC also has the following features:
- Touchscreen computers to help you find information
- All products labelled with QR codes to help you find information quickly and tailor a report of products that can help you
- New accessible kitchen
- New bathing and toileting area
- Latest models of daily living equipment
- Updated telecare smarthome
The centre also contains its own SmartHome area (kindly supported by Westminster City Council, Westminster PCT and CityWest Homes) where visitors can see the latest technology systems and devices designed to assist people with a range of problems to live independently and safely in their own homes.
When you make your appointment you will be asked if there is particular equipment you would like to see or what problems you are wishing to solve, so that we may tailor your experience to relevant items. In some cases and with enough notice, we may get a piece of equipment on to the premises especially for you to try if possible.
During your visit you will have the support, advice and skill of at least a qualified Trusted Assessor, who will demonstrate the equipment for you, answer your questions, and find out further details for you from our databases, e.g. Living Made Easy
Appointments are usually made for an hour as we like to ensure that our visitors are able to take their time with life choices. If you have no appointment, we will still be happy to help, but you should appreciate that those with appointments will take priority and therefore you may have to wait until a member of staff is free to be with you.
1. DLF does not own the equpment within the EDC, but it is kindly loaned to us by the relevant companies; this means that for insurance and Health & Safety purposes, visitors are only allowed into the centre when a member of staff is available to accompany them.
2. Groups of visitors from the UK and overseas are also welcomed, but we politely request an appropriate fixed donation in these instances as it involves preparation, staff commitment and a reduction in our availability to our core users as we have to limit the number of appointments accordingly. If you wish to bring a group to the EDC please contact us directly with the details on 0207 432 8015/8014.
3. DLF is a charity, not a retail outlet, so we don't sell any products - but we can help you find the people that do!
Disabled Living Foundation, 380-384 Harrow Road, London W9 2HU directions
Opening hours: 10am-4pm, Mon-Fri
To make an appointment 0207 289 6111 x247/204