Error messageDeprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in menu_set_active_trail() (line 2405 of D:\Websites\dlf.org.uk\htdocs\includes\menu.inc).
Please take a moment to read the following User Policy. If there is anything you do not understand, then please Contact Us.
1. Acceptance of this User Policy
IMPORTANT: By accessing and using this Website you will automatically be taken to have read, understood and accepted this User Policy. If you do not agree to be bound by this User Policy please cease to access and use this Website and any of the content found within it (including any content you have copied or downloaded).
2. This website
This Website is provided to you by the Disabled Living Foundation ("DLF", "we", "us" or "our"), an organisation that helps older and disabled people find equipment solutions that enable them to lead independent lives. This Website is an assistive technology resource aimed primarily for users of assistive technology (and their families and friends), healthcare professionals who advise clients with regard to assistive technology, and people who work in the assisitve technology industry.
This Website provides information to you through a variety of ways, including the provision of:
- a comprehensive and up-to-date database of available assistive technology (the “Database”), only accessible by registered users (“Database Registered Users”);
- access to free factsheets which give guidance on a wide range of topics (the “Factsheets”);
- access to a guided advice tool ("AskSARA")
- access to webservices which are a conduit for DLF Data (the “Webservices”)
- discussion forums, which give you the chance to discuss your equipment needs with other users and ask for advice from our advice team (the “Discussion Forums”);
- community facilities, which give you the chance to share your experiences with other users, including but not limited to writing product reviews (the "Community Facilities")
- access to specialist training courses.
The Database and the Factsheets have been compiled using information provided to us by producers, suppliers and/or distributors of the assistive technology featured.
If you wish to become a Database Registered User and have access to the Database then you (or your employer) will need to register with us and pay the requisite fee. Please Contact Us for further details about this. Access to DLF Data (the database) is only permitted via DLF’s websites and by authorised (licensed) use of webservices.
3. Availability of this Website
While we shall use reasonable endeavours to ensure that this Website is generally available we make no representation or guarantees as to such availability.
We reserve the right to withdraw access to all or any part of this Website for periods of time in order to modify the Database, the Factsheets and/or other content, for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance and for other purposes, without notice to you.
Since you will receive this Website via third party telecommunications networks, you acknowledge that we cannot guarantee that the availability of this Website will be uninterrupted or error free. Similarly we cannot guarantee that the transmission of any information over such telecommunications networks will be secure nor that you will be able to access this Website at all times.
IMPORTANT: this Website is therefore provided to you on an “as is” and “as and when available” basis, and your use of this Website is at your own risk.
4. Your obligations
IMPORTANT: You may only use this Website (including any content which you access or download) for lawful purpose(s), and in any event in accordance with this User Policy.
- not to use this Website (including the Database or the Factsheets) for your personal commercial gain or to sell or trade in any of the content or other material copied or downloaded from this Website;
- not to change any of the text or images contained in this Website or merge it with any other text or images, or forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any of content from the Database, the Factsheets or otherwise from the Website;
- to comply with any legal notices contained in this Website; and
- to respect and comply with the legal rights of others, in particular our rights and the rights of our licensors.
5. Ownership and Licence
You acknowledge that all rights in copyright, database rights, design rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights (whether registered, capable of registration or otherwise) throughout the world, for the full duration of such rights (“IP Rights”) in this Website (including in the Database or the Factsheets) are owned by us or our other licensors (as appropriate).
Except for your use of this Website in accordance with this User Policy, you are granted no IP Rights in respect of this Website.
You may print copy or download any Factsheets, records from the Database or other extracts from this Website provided always that:
- the DLF is the acknowledged source;
- all titles credits and URLs are included; and
- you comply with any legal notice contained in this Website.
This permission is revocable by us at any time.
All trade marks, logos, titles, brand and product names (the “Trade Marks”) which are featured in this Website, are owned by us or our licensors.
You may only use or refer to any Trade Marks which are included in content downloaded, copied or printed by you in accordance with this User Policy. Otherwise you must not offer or distribute any products or services under or by reference to the Trade Marks, or otherwise reproduce any of the Trade Marks without our express written consent.
In relation to any messages which you post on to the Discussion Forums, you grant us a non-exclusive royalty free licence (which includes the right to grant sub-licences) to include the content of such messages on this Website so that it can be made available by us as part of the Website and be viewed by other users and used and exploited by them as they see fit.
This Website contains links to other websites which are not under our control. These links are provided for your convenience only. We are not responsible for the availability or content of such other websites, nor for any products or services available from them. Any such link should not be seen as an endorsement of such websites, or any products or services contained on them.
You should be aware that your use of such other websites may be subject to additional terms and conditions imposed by the owners of those websites. Your dealings with such third parties are between you and the third party, and we accept no liability as a result of you accessing such websites or entering into contractual arrangements with the operator in question.
7. Modifications to this User Policy
8. Registration and Use of Your Data
Please see paragraph 4 of the Discussion Forum Policy in relation to the registration and use of data belonging to a user of the Discussion Forums.
You can become a Database Registered User in two ways:
- where you are an individual who subscribes as an individual Registered User (“Individual Subscriber”); or
- where an organisation (“Organisation”) subscribes on your behalf allocating you as a Registered User.
An Organisation and its Database Registered Users shall be jointly and severally liable under this User Policy for the actions and omissions of its Database Registered Users (whether within the scope of their employment or otherwise) in relation to any use of this Website. In particular, an Organisation shall be responsible for a Database Registered User's use of a Discussion Forum or the Database. If you are an Individual Subscriber you shall be solely liable for any use you make of the Website.
In order to access the Database you (or your Organisation acting on your behalf) must first register with us and become a Database Registered User.
When registering as a Database Registered User, you and your Organisation (where applicable) agree to provide accurate, up-to-date and complete information about yourself, as prompted by the Website ("Your Data") and to promptly update Your Data as and when any changes to Your Data occur.
When you or your Organisation on your behalf (as applicable) successfully register as a Database Registered User you will receive a Username and Password. You are responsible for keeping your Password confidential and shall take all necessary steps to ensure that it is kept secure and not disclosed to any other person.
IMPORTANT: Please note that your Username and Password are individual to you. If another person (whether located at your organisation or otherwise) wishes to access the Database they must first be registered as a separate Database Registered User.
To knowingly allow other individuals to use your Username and/or Password shall be viewed as a material breach of this User Policy and allow us to terminate your registration as a Database Registered User and/or your access to all or any parts of this Website without notice to you, pursuant to paragraph 14 below.
If you know or suspect that your Password has been disclosed to any other person you must Contact Us immediately and change your password. Please note that you are responsible for all activities that occur under your Password.
While we do endeavour to ensure that the information contained in this Website (including in the Database and/or the Factsheets) is accurate, appropriate and up-to-date, you should note that:
- since much of the content of the Database is provided by the producers, suppliers or distributors of the assistive technology featured, we cannot and do not undertake to monitor every item on the Database;
- we make no representations, warranties or endorsements about either the information included in this Website or its accuracy (including in relation to any opinions or advice given whether in the Factsheets or otherwise), nor about any assistive technology featured in the Database; and
- anything on this Website is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice, legal or professional advice and should not be treated as a substitute for the advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. You should always consult your own GP if you are in any way concerned about your health or the health of another person.
- The information that you receive on this website is NOT a substitute for individual assessment. We recommend that you arrange an assessment with an occupational therapist before purchasing any daily living equipment that may affect your balance, mobility, posture, pressure care, ability to summon help, or general safety. You need to consider if the equipment will work as you intend, when you are in your home environment. Ideally you should trial the equipment at home before you purchase.
Although we cannot guarantee the prompt editing or removal of any inappropriate or inaccurate content, if you find any content that is inaccurate or inappropriate then please Contact Us.
While we use virus checkers to check the content of the Website, we are unable to guarantee that is virus and/or error free. You should always check any content before downloading. Any content is downloaded by you from the Website (including from the Database) at your own risk, and on the basis that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that result from the download of such content.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you are solely responsible for any decisions you take based on the information contained in the Website.
On the basis that you are accessing this Website for business and commercial purposes, and/or our status as a charity, you agree that, unless we specifically state otherwise, we provide this Website (including the Database and the Factsheets) to you without any conditions, warranties, or guarantees, whether express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties or conditions as to the satisfactory quality or fitness for a particular purpose, which are expressly excluded to the extent permitted by law.
10. Discussion Forums and Community Facilities
You agree to only access and use the Discussion Forums and/or Community Facilities in accordance with the Discussion Forum Policy and/or Community Policy.
11. Our Liability
We do not limit our liability if you die or are injured as a result of our negligence, or if you suffer loss as a consequence of any fraud by us (or for any other liabilities which we may not by law exclude) and nothing in this User Policy should be read as making any such limitations.
We shall not be liable to you in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise for:
- any loss or damage arising from your use of the Website;
- any loss or damage arising as a consequence of viruses received by you via this Website;
- any loss or damage arising as a consequence of our failure to provide this Website in accordance with this User Policy; and/or
- any economic losses (including loss of profits) any indirect or consequential losses, loss of data, goodwill or reputation, or for any wasted expense including but not limited to losses caused by viruses,
- and any other liability we may have to you whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise for any loss or damage suffered by you in relation to this Website and/or the Database or Factsheets is limited to £500.
In any event we will not be liable for any failure to perform our obligations if we are prevented from doing so by an event beyond our reasonable control.
IMPORTANT: You acknowledge that, on the basis of our charitable status and that you are either accessing this Website free of charge or alternatively on the basis of the fee you are charged to be a Registered User, the disclaimers and limits on our liability contained in this User Policy are fair and reasonable.
12. Your Liability
We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your registration as a Registered User and/or your access to all or any parts of this Website without notice to you, if we reasonably believe you and/or your Organisation (as applicable) to have breached this User Policy.
You agree to indemnify us from and against any liability, loss, damage or expense caused to any person to the extent such losses, damages and expense is caused by your use of this Website.
Again you acknowledge that this indemnity is appropriate and reasonable given our charitable status and that you are either accessing this Website free of charge or alternatively on the basis of the fee charged for you to be a Database Registered User.
We are entitled to revoke your status as a Database Registered User or otherwise limit your right of access to this Website at any time:
- where you have materially or persistently breached this User Policy; or
- in any event on three (3) month's notice. In the event that we revoke your status as a Database Registered User due to your material or persistent breach of this User Policy you or your Organisation (as applicable) shall not be entitled to any refund of the fee you were charged to be a Database Registered User.
Please note the following:
- any failure or delay by us to bring legal proceedings in relation to this Website, the Database, the Factsheets or this User Policy shall not be regarded as a waiver of any rights. Indeed if we do waive any such rights, this shall not be regarded to be a waiver of any other or future rights we may have;
- if any paragraph, or part of any paragraph, of this User Policy is found by any Court, or other competent body to be wholly or partly illegal, invalid, void, voidable, unenforceable or unreasonable, that part shall be deemed to be severable from this User Policy and the remaining provisions of this User Policy shall continue in full force and effect;
- the User Policy is not intended, nor shall it operate, to create a partnership or joint venture of any kind between us and you, and you are not authorised to act as our agent;
- no term of this User Policy shall be enforceable under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by a third party, who is not a party to this User Policy;
- you may serve any formal notice on us by Contacting Us, and we may serve a formal notice on you, by either first class post or email and such notice will be regarded as formally received by the other on the next day that is not a weekend or a bank holiday;
- you acknowledge that (in relation to your use of this Website) you have not relied on any statement, representation, warranty or understanding made by us or on our behalf (whether or not made negligently) other than those expressly set out in this User Policy;
- this User Policy shall be interpreted in accordance with English Law and in relation to any disputes which may arise in relation to this User Policy or this Website, you and we submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
15. The Information Standard Quality Mark
DLF shall hold responsibility for the accuracy of the information they publish and neither the scheme operator nor the scheme owner shall have any responsibility whatsoever for costs, losses or direct or indirect damages or costs arising from inaccuracy of information or omissions in information published on the website on behalf of DLF.
16. Contacting Us
You can contact us by sending an e-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by writing to us at: Disabled Living Foundation, Unit 1, 34 Chatfield Road, Wandsworth, London, SW11 3SE
If you have a complaint, please email using our feedback form.
Please note that acts of discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation against DLF staff will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, physical or verbal abuse or contacting DLF staff outside working hours on personal numbers without specific permission.