Purpose of the Course
To enable the Trusted Assessor to identify a need for major adaptations, assess measure for and prescribe major adaptations and apply for DFG funding for the adaptations.
View course dates
The range of equipment includes:
- Level access showers
- Stair lifts
- To understand the purpose of Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) – benefits & limitations relating to accessing the home
- To be able to complete a robust risk assessment including: individual, task, environment, other people/ factors
- Identify a need for equipment and be able to justify
- Understand environment factors that will impact on the ability in install adaptations
- To be able to measure an individual for major adaptations
- To be able to understand ranges of products available within level access showers, ramps and stairlifts
- Recognise role of Trusted Assessor and understand when to refer clients back to OT services
Two days. All learners are required to attend both days in full to complete the course.
It is essential that all learners have knowledge of medical conditions that impact function and the ability to assess for minor adaptations including grab rails and equipment for bathing and using the toilet. When registering for the course you will be need to be competent in these areas. To check your knowledge, please download the short test below – if you are able to answer these questions confidently you should be able to actively participate in the Level 4 course.
Please note that this course is pass or fail: any learner not meeting the assessment criteria will fail the course and will need to re-book to try again. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All DLF courses require a basic level of English language.
Every learner will be tested against the learning outcomes, this is completed through a variety of classroom assessments. At the end of the course you will be expected to complete a post course assignment and submit this within three weeks of the last day of the course. Please ensure you have capacity to complete this before booking the course.
Once passed, all learners will receive a certificate accredited by the OCN London at Level Four.
The course aims to include a lot of practical elements, therefore the learners must dress in comfortable clothing as they may be asked to bend and kneel for some elements.
NB – this course will in no way train staff to replace the role of Occupational Therapy within home adaptations. It will enable staff to complete more basic assessments for stairlifts, level access showers and ramps, to ensure the learner knows their limitations and when to refer onto qualified professionals.
It is highly recommended that all organisations choosing to complete this training course have a clear referral pathway through to Occupational Therapy teams for circumstances when the assessment is beyond a Trusted Assessors remit.
For further information or documentation, or help with setting up a new Trusted Assessor service please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or call 0207 289 6111.