This course is designed for those new to moving and handling assessment and advice and wish to increase their knowledge and confidence in this area.
View course dates
Who is it for?
- Occupational Therapists
- Senior staff members that are interested in becoming a moving and handling assessor or advisor
- Prior practical working knowledge of moving and handling and previous basic moving and handling training is essential.
Runs over two full days and contains both paper and practical based tasks.
By the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand their responsibilities under moving and handling legislation
- Know the principles of normal movement and basic anatomy of the spine
- Understand the implications of poor moving and handling and injuries it can cause
- Recognise and reduce risk by completing risk assessments
- Use ergonomic principles to reduce risk
- Recommend a safe system of work and create a moving and handling plan
- Use standardised tests to evidence outcomes
- Have an understanding of biomechanics
- Use balanced decision making in complex situations
- Have an understanding of equipment provision and contraindications of such provision
- Understand all factors relating to moving and handling of people including physical, emotional, psychological and cultural needs.
Courses are run at our own venues throughout the UK. Bespoke courses for your staff can be booked at a venue of your choice. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7432 8010 for a no obligation quote.
All moving and handling training courses require participants to get involved and try techniques for themselves. Please ensure you arrive appropriately dressed, with loose, comfortable clothing and flat shoes. If you feel you may struggle with some positions, please complete the disability section on the registration form when signing up for the course and alert your trainer on arrival.